Jan Mandel/Blog/2012 Jul Sep
An alternative to ResearcherID, but picks up web references and allows to merge with alternative forms as preprints to an single entry. I came across a few and added my own.
From this department
- Doug Arnold
- Peter Bickel
- Pierre Del Moral
- Arnaud Doucet
- Iain Duff
- Paul Erdos
- Tom Hughes
- I. M. Navon
- Jarik Nesetril
- Albert Simeoni
- Jakub Šístek
- Tayfun Tezduyar
- Nick Trefethen
- Jinchao Xu
July 20: Variational methods in data assimilation
- See May 23: Gauss-Newton method and convergence of nonlinear EnKF and 4DVar'" for the previous version
- Historical: LeDimet-1986-VAA doi ucd, Courtier-1993-ILU doi ucd
- Incremental implementation of 4DVar Courtier-1994-SOI doi ucd
- Equivalence of 4DVAR and Kalman smoother: Bell-1994-IKS doi ucd, Li-2001-OVD doi ucd
- 4DVAR and Gauss_Newton_method methods on a subspace, usually called "model reduction"
- subspace by POD: Robert-2005-RS4 doi ucd Daescu-2007-EPR doi ucd, also for coarse correction in CG Gratton-2011-RLP doi ucd
- low-resolution and balanced truncation" (somewhat like POD as well) Lawless-2007-AGM-preprint link Lawless-2008-AGM doi ucd, Lawless-2008-UMR doi ucd Boess-2011-SEU doi ucd
- by POD in nonlinear elasticity: Carlberg-2011-ENM doi ucd
- from previous Krylov iterations: Druskin-2007-CMR doi ucd
July 30: Level set methods for fire spread modeling
- NIST report Rehm-2009-FPU link from the FDS group, advection with flux limiters instead of solving the level set equation. Citing Toro-2009-RSN, see Toro-2009-RSN-ch13 doi ucd page 456.
- Our papers, 1st order upwinding.
- Mandel-2009-DAW doi ucd. The matlab code that was used to develop the propagation scheme in the WRF-Fire code in 2007 is still in the repository in standalone/matlab, it was in wrfv2_fire/phys until moved in 2010. There will be different versions of interest as the code evolved, particularly in 2007-2008, look at the history. See also some files from the old dddas03 CVS repository, now copied to here. There are experiments in Minjeong's thesis.
- Current: Mandel-2011-CAF doi ucd and a supplement with experiments
- Multivac code in C++: Mallet-2009-MWF doi ucd preprint, many methods including high-order ENO
- Implicit method in PetSC Huabsomboon-2007-ILS link
- Randomized Pagnini-2012-RLM link
Aug 4: WRF-Chem and fire
- Home page at NOAA NCAR page
- User's guide: Peckham-2012-WCV link
- Jon's prototype coupling: description - subroutine fire_emissions - call fire_emissions - test problem - registry.chem
- How it works: the value of chem_opt in namelist.input selects a package that determines which variables exist and which chemistry scheme to use - see section 4.2 in User's Guide. The emissions scheme and the chemistry/transport scheme should match (at least use the same variables)
August 20: Reinitialization in the level set method
August 27: Auraria Library Newsletter
- How to access online resources when off campus
- How to write BibTeX files
- How to deal with citations, attribution, and copyrights
August 29: Data assimilation seminar: 4DVAR and Ensemble Kalman Smoother, or What Was I Doing Last Summer Part 1
September 2: Probability on Hilbert Spaces and convergence of the EnKF
- My notes: The prologue is a simplified version of the proof of convergence of EnKF from Mandel-2011-CEK doi ucd; then builds the background in detail.
- Presentation how to generalize to Hilbert spaces, at the University of Paul Sabatier, Toulouse June 2012
- Slow-paced introduction: Chapter 1 in Kuo-1975-GMB doi ucd.
- Chapter 1 in DaPrato-2006-IIA-ch1 doi ucd little more terse and comprehensive.
September 5: Data assimilation seminar: Construction of gaussian measure on l 2
September 5: Data assimilation seminar: 4DVAR and Ensemble Kalman Smoother, or What Was I Doing Last Summer Part 2
September 11: Introduction to data assimilation
September 11: Kriging
- Kitanidis, Introduction to geostatistics : applications to hydrogeology, 1997, Cressie, Statistics for Spatial Data, 1993, search http://prospector.coalliance.org
- Hengl-2007-ARF doi ucd VerHoef-2004-FSM doi ucd
- search for Kringing in geo.bib and dddas-jm.bib
September 12: Data assimilation seminar: 4DVAR and Ensemble Kalman Smoother, or What Was I Doing Last Summer Part 3
September 12: New NSF grant
September 18: Parallel Multilevel BDDC
- paper draft
- On adaptive multilevel BDDC 2D from Bedrich's dissertation
- 2 levels in 3D arXiv:0910.5863