Jan Mandel/Blog/2016 Jul Sep
Jul 18-22: ISDA 2016
5th International Symposium on Data Assimilation
Aug 27: Aimé's paper on wavelets in WRFDA
- Aimé Fournier, Wavelet model of background-error covariance in the Weather Research & Forecasting model
Aug 31: Data Assimilation Seminar: Introduction to the Fire Modeling and Data Assimilation Project
Sep 1: QUIC
- Addelpalli et al., In Search of an Intelligent Methodology for Designing Sustainable Cities
- Forthofer et al., A comparison of three approaches for simulating fine-scale surface winds in support of wildland fire management
- Brown et al., QUIC transport and dispersion modelling of two releases from the Joint Urban 2003 field experiment manuscript
- Overby et al., QUIC EnvSim: Radiative Heat Transfer in Vegetative and Urban Environments with NVIDIA OptiX
Sep 1: WindNinja
- current release: https://github.com/firelab/windninja/releases/tag/3.1.0.
- from V.3 WindNinja includes two options for solvers: 1. the native mass-consistent solver and 2. a conservation of mass and momentum solver based on OpenFOAM (RANS K-epsilon).
- documentation: http://firelab.github.io/windninja/tutorial/ http://firelab.github.io/windninja/
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/WF12089 http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_other/rmrs_2014_forthofer_j001.pdf A comparison of three approaches for simulating fine-scale surface winds in support of wildland fire management. Part I. Model formulation and comparison against measurements
- http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/acp-16-5229-2016 Downscaling surface wind predictions from numerical weather prediction models in complex terrain with WindNinja
Sep 2: Some fire models in the open
- Werth et al., Synthesis of knowledge of extreme fire behavior. Volume I for fire managers
- Towards Data-Driven Operational Wildfire Spread Modeling Report of NSF funded WIFIRE 2015 Modeling Workshop "Towards Data-Driven Operational Wildfire Spread Modeling", January 12-13, 2015
- FIRELAB on GitHub
- FIREMODELS on GitHub
- FDS source (but no WFDS)
Sep 2: Active Fires Detection update
- Locate and download Level 2 files (MOD14, MYD14, NPP_VAF_L2?) read into 3 rectangular arrays: pixel longidude, latitude, and sensor data, and store as Matlab file. Note the geolocation information is in separate MOD03 file for MODIS. Not sure how it is for VIIRS.
- Verify by making a version of showmod14files.m that uses these files.
- Write a Python 2 code (using the Anaconda distribution) that downloads all Level 2 data between given times and that intersect a given longitude-latitude rectangle.
- MODIS Level 2 Active Fires Product Description. We are using the MOD14 and MYD14 products.
- Geolocation data are in MOD03 files. See also description.
- Official MOD03 and MYD03 pages and link to download: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/MODIS/MOD03.006 http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/MODIS/MYD03.006
- Manuals particularly Giglio-2015-MC6 link also applies to VIIRS
- VIIRS Active Fires at University of Maryland
- Downloading VIIRS Active Fire Data guide but for Level 3 only
- VIIRS I-Band 375 m Active Fire Data at NASA
- IIRS 375 m Active Fire Algorithm User Guide
- Our collection from RSAC is on gross /state/partition1/share_home/usda_fs_rsac/ These include the original HDF files as well as resampled into GeoTIFF aligned with longitude/latitude with 0.1 deg resolution.
- I am now reading the TIFF files in other/Matlab/detection. This assumes
- start Matlab in the directory, or cd to the directory and run startup in Matlab
- the directory /state/partition1/share_home/usda_fs_rsac/TIFs copied there as subdirectory or soft link.
- Then in Matlab
Sep 3: Earth wind map
- source code: https://github.com/cambecc/earth
Sep 4: Weather Data Sources
- as used in Martin's code
Sep 7: Data assimilation seminar: Introduction to assimilation of functional data and application to satellite active fires detection
Sep 12: CCM seminar
Sep 14: Data assimilation seminar: Introduction to assimilation of functional data and application to satellite active fires detection part 2
Sep 21: Data assimilation seminar: Introduction to assimilation of functional data and application to satellite active fires detection part 3
Sep 28: Data assimilation seminar: Introduction to assimilation of functional data and application to satellite active fires detection part 3
- My home page and the official university page
- Articles I frequently refer people to
- Schedule of regular meetings
- WRF-Fire commit graph
- list of all WRF-Fire pages on openwfm.org
- WRF-Fire development notes
- Conferences at openwfm.org
- NCAR events calendar
- Local events